To bee or not to bee?

Just wanted to write a short post to let everyone know what has enlightened my quarantine lately. I can watch them forever, watch their tiny little wings buzz them around with a surprisingly high accuracy trying to find a little nest to get comfortable in. Which is not an easy task I've concluded after my small little garden adventure. One burrow after another is usually turned down, seeming never to be quite the right fit. All the better for spectators like me trying to make out the beautiful patterns that tells them apart. Which is the question, to bee or not to bee?

I'm all about those bumbles at the moment. Although I must admit I've found a good mimicker whilst doing some learning, the most adorable bee-fly. Just google it, do it now. See what I mean? One of my missions is to capture these on camera one day!  But today I'm not going to let them take the sunshine from the humble bumbles. However instead of me babbling on I wanted to share some videos that have really helped me to easier identify these creatures. Not only species apart but how to distinguish bees from flies, some are obvious of course although you'd be surprised the copy skills some flies have. 

Before I link the videos below I will mention (I can't help myself) just a few facts that I found particular interesting.

  1.  After a Queen Bee finds her nest for the summer she will lay her eggs and produce her first offspring, which are known as "workers" however did you know that the workers are all females? Some girl power right there. 
  2. Bumblebees do not make honey, lets not confuse them with the honeybee. No offence.
  3. Bombus is the species latin name describing the fantastic sound they make bumbling by! Bombus actually means booming.
At least enjoy these great videos by Dave Goulson that I've embedded below. 


 

Link to his YouTube channel here.

Give UK Bumblebee Conservation trust a visit if you want some more information. Click this link.

Until next time, be kind! 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How do snails talk to each other over long distances?

Humble Bumble ID

What do you call a grasshopper on adderall?